Summary for the squeamish: I’m fine, my stuff is OK. Verbal description of not goodness behind the cut below the (non graphic) picture.
The project bag with the Belle Greene shawl fell on the floor, and I didn’t see it. I stepped on it at the wrong angle and the 1.00 mm beading crochet hook poked through the bag and into my foot, and lodged in there.
I have to admit, my first thought was not about my shawl. It was about how long it’s been since I’ve had a tetanus shot (my doctor’s office tells me it was March 1, 2007, and that it’s good for ten years, so OK). My second thought was that I couldn’t get the hook out of my foot. It must have taken a full minute before I actually dislodged it. Not exactly black out pain, but it was certainly enough to hold my attention.
Once I did unhook my foot I realized that the bag was drenched in my blood. I didn’t even think of taking pictures (you’re welcome). I emptied the bag, made sure it had protected the project (it had) and applied hydrogen peroxide to it first, before putting a band aid on the foot, and rinsed the peroxide off after, Then I did what I could for the rug. Then I threw the poor bag into the laundry.
The exterior of the bag is absolutely fine, no visible staining or bleaching.. The lining is a little bit discolored, a bit grungy, but far from gross. The interfacing stood up to the abuse very well. My valiant bag will live to see another day and protect another project. I will be more careful with my stuff in the future, I don’t want to do that again.