Stuff and More Stuff
It all started out simply enough. I had an old Altoids tin with band aids and a tiny bead box of pills in it. I picked up a tiny spray bottle of antiseptic to go in it, and it didn’t fit. So then I got a tiny first aid kit for $2, which had its own band aids in it. The first aid spray fit, but my pill box was too tall. So I swapped it out for an Altoids mini tin, and it fit fine.
But I didn’t like the way that the first aid box was labeled. So I made my own label for it, and for the tin. While I was at it, I decided to turn the old Altoids tin into an emergency sewing kit. I had an old sewing kit, but it has a faulty catch, and I couldn’t get it open.
Stuff Leads to Stuff
I had a spare set of sewing scissors, but they were too large for the Altoids tin. So I took the folding scissors I had in one of my notions pouches. I was able to trade around which scissors went in which pouch to find a place where the spares would fit, but they would have poked holes.
Not a big problem. I looked around online for a sheath (Etsy has several inexpensive ones). I found a lovely tutorial on how to make a scissors fob out of a knitting needle protector. Since I have a needle protector I never use, and all sorts of beading supplies on hand, I decided to save time and money and just make it.
I considered just making the bead loop go through the scissors handle, but I decided that I’d rather have the option of switching it to another pair at a future time.
Finally, Dottie sent me a picture of a necklace I made for Pi Sigma Phi being worn by one of her brothers.
Also Still Knitting
I’m still working on the Walderton. I’ve completed 38 repeats (out of 36 due in three days). I’m just going to keep going until I run out of yarn or of time.
Read Full Post »
Well, the tomato hat seems to be a success (hopefully I’ll get a picture of the child wearing it), and the tomato heels turned beautifully. Back to sock design.
I’d forgotten what my graphics arts ‘process’ is. Apparently it involves a lot of sighing and gibbering, and telling the computer to do what I want it to do. No, seriously, I have to send my family out of the room so they don’t keep asking if I’m all right, and suggesting that I have a nice cup of tea and a sit down.
I ended up downloading a macro for GIMP which let me put a grid over an image. I layered it upon each of the banners, then copied grid sized squares from the underlying image, and pasting them to make a more pixilated image. Exported the whole thing to .png file, imported it into a spreadsheet to add numbering… and it just occurs to me that I need to add heavier lines to mark off every fifth space (for ease of use). Yeah, it’s enough trouble to fiddle with that I should really consider making it available for purchase when done. Fortunately, Open Office exports to .pdf, so I could do the whole thing as a Ravelry download (fiddly charts and all).
Unfortunately, I miscalculated the number of stitches in the flag chart. I had noted it as 37, but it works out to 38, so there should be 84 stitches in a round rather than 82 (given decisions I’d made earlier). This is actually a *much* better number to design with, especially when it comes to the Sweet Tomato heel, but it left my actual socks a couple of stitches off. Easy enough to fix, and the final pattern will be much friendlier.
No pictures this time, but I think I’m more or less on track.
In other news, I’m thinking of entering the Carina shawl in the Howard County fair. Need to decide pretty soon, since the deadline is the end of July!
Read Full Post »
At last it can be told!
I’ve been working on a very exciting project for the last month and a half.
My good friend Colleen is a very talented chef, and has finally decided to go into business for herself. She asked me to code her webpage and blog, and, as of yesterday, it’s now up and running. Please check it out.
If you’re in the Greater Baltimore area then please consider giving her services a try. She is absolutely amazing at what she does, can accommodate a tremendous variety of dietary preferences and needs, and her prices are really good.
Yellow Hen Chef webpage
Yellow Hen Chef blog
Read Full Post »
I love the Creative Commons license. It means that an artist can give permission for others to use, modify, whatever an image, and still get credit for it.
For example, I took parts from three other artists (hover over or click the picture to see who made what) and put them together (using the freeware Gimp program) to create something new. If someone wants to use this picture, they can, as long as they give credit to me and to all the other artists.
It’s my rendition of a scene which took place in the Lost Worlds game that I run. I am very, very pleased with it.
Blog contest news. I didn’t win Sandra Singh’s shawl kit giveaway, and don’t have any new ones to announce.
Read Full Post »