I knit these socks toe up, more or less along the lines of Sheron’s two at once on two circular needles method combined with Silver’s Toe Up Sock on a Magic Loop . There is no reason you couldn’t use DPNs or magic loop, one sock at a time. Rather than casting on as described in the tutorial sited above, I used the figure 8 cast on and started with 12 stitches. I knit one side, turned the work, and knit into the back of the stitches (twisting them).
Place a stitch marker at the beginning of the round.
Knit 1 round even
A (K1M1L Knit to last two stitches M1R) turn, repeat on other side.
Repeat rounds 2 and 3 until there are 56 stitches on a round.
- Set row counter to 0. Knit 28 (back of sock) k4 p20 k4 (front of sock)
- Increase the row counter. Knit 28 stitches on the back. Knit 4 knit 1st row of June Oshiro’s DNA pattern (from her DNA scarf) knit 4
- Continue as above until row 3 of the chart. At that point rather than knitting 4 before and after the DNA pattern, C2F , knit the chart row, C2B. Continue to twist the cables every five rounds throughout the sock.
- Continue as above until round 5, then knit the first half of round A for the back of the sock, keeping the front of the sock in pattern.
- Continue in this pattern, repeating round 3 every five rounds.
- Keep in this pattern until the sock is 2″ less than the length of the foot. Then turn the heels (see lesson three of Sherons tutorial for understanding turning socks on two circulars, and your method of choice. I recommend Knitty’s instructions.)
- Join heels and front of the socks, and continue in pattern as before heel turn, increasing until 42 stitches are on the back of the socks. On the back of the socks switch from stockinette to reverse stockinette.
- Set a second stitch marker to 1, and begin row 1 of second chart. Choose biohazard warning chart (pdf) or radiation warning chart (pdf) on the back side of the socks. (NOTE – if desired, add 2 to the row numbers on the radiation warning symbol chart to align the two socks).
- At the same time, stop increasing stitches once there are 44 stitches on the back of the socks.
- Continue in pattern until row 34 of chart. If the DNA chart is on an odd numbered row, continue until an even number row is completed.
- Switch to knit 4 purl 2 rib, and continue in that pattern for 1 inch.
- Bind off using favorite method.