The Pattern Posting Lessons
It’s been almost a week since I posted the Vexing Socks pattern. More than 500 people took advantage of the coupon code, and three missed it. People visited the blog to get the coupon code, and many of them took a look around the blog. I don’t know how many ‘followed’, but there wasn’t a noticeable uptick in comments. I had one individual ask if I would knit the socks for him. (The answer to that was no). Two of my test knitters linked their FOs to the pattern in the Ravelry database, and it’s in 9 queues with 96 favorites. Not bad.
If I do publish any more patterns I think I will do the coupon code thing again, but just for three days (since the vast majority of the activity on the pattern took place over the first three days). I think, on the whole, it went well.
In Other Knitting
I finally succeeded in using the crochet cast on for Kris Hanson’s Dino Cap. I’m having a lot of fun with this project. The toddler’s parents are big fans of the Washington NFL team, so the cap is in burgundy and gold. I’ve called my Ravelry project “The Dino Who Shall Not Be Named” in honor of the current controversy. I cast on in gold, but switched to burgundy in the middle of the first earflap (just after the decreases). Since the short rows in the flaps are done without yarn overs or other methods of smoothing there is a built in picot edge, and it makes a nice transition point. I switched back to gold and did the same process for the second flap. Knit to the same depth in burgundy as I had in gold, and attached the working edge to the cast on edge with a three needle technique. I’m rather pleased with the results.
Space and Organization
I’m making good progress on the cricket sweater as well. I’ve worked through the underarm decreases on the back, and I’m
enjoying it very much. I’ve already switched that project into the new project bag. It did still fit into the previous bag, but the Illustriation shawl was cramped in the next smaller bag, so I did a bit of shuffling around.
I also had to admit that the Altoids box was no longer working as a notions tin. I had blown the hinges on one, and replaced it with a new Altoids tin, but even handling it gently I had trouble getting it closed consistently.
So I replaced that with a Lantern Moon knit aid case. I already mentioned that I had ordered up a Namaste Better Buddy to have one notions case per project bag, and that came in as well.
My sets obsession has driven me to order yet another Debra’s Garden gauge so that every Project Bag which is actively in use can have one clipped to it. I know it’s pretty silly, but that’s what I’m doing with it.
I could go off and talk about the pen and notebook thing, but I’ll save that for another time.
Blog Contests and Yarn Giveaways
I didn’t win the Thick and Finn, Swan’s Island or Kangarth knits giveaways. I entered a giveaway from Hands Occupied for a skein of Silverspun yarn (30 October).